Wow! Our new normal is nothing we ever imagined; nevertheless, God is still sovereign, and He is our provider and source of everything we stand in need of. We will continue to give God all the glory and praise for who is and who He will always be - faithful, loving, gracious, merciful, our promise keeper, source of joy, and a firm foundation. During this time of uncertainty, let’s remember to keep God close and be the people He has called us to be.
Even though schools have been closed for an indefinite amount of time, learning does not end for our students. As teachers, we are continuously thinking about the future of your children. We will do our best to provide your children with an education plan that will prepare them for the next school year. With uncertainty surrounding us, we need to be vigilant and prepare for whatever may happen and change. That will start with parents coming alongside us to ensure DCS students maintain their learning and grow academically.
Here are some of the education plans of our teachers:
1. Beginning Monday, March 23, teachers will send out/post assignments, projects, tests, videos, and material to assist our students.
2. Teachers will connect with our students through a variety of methods. Some possible methods of communication may be email, telephone, video, Zoom app, Facetime, etc. After spring break, we hope to set-up times where students can visit the school to receive one-on-one instruction from a teacher. At this point, this is permitted by Alberta Education.
3. Teachers will continue to mark their students work. This may be done through a variety of ways such as parents emailing screenshots of work, scanning and emailing work, submitting them through Google Classroom, possibly dropping off work at the school for teachers to mark, etc.
Here are some of the ways you AMAZING parents can support your child with their learning:
1. Please check your email daily and have your children that have school emails check their emails daily as well.
2. Develop a school schedule that works for your family.
3. Video your children reciting scripture memory that will be outlined by their Bible teacher.
4. Possibly administer tests to your children.
It is important that students keep up with their assignments, so they do not fall behind. At this point we are not sure how our term three report cards will look, but teachers will continue to grade assignments as usual in order to prepare our students for next year. Individual homeroom teachers will be emailing parents directly with grade specific expectations. If you have any questions, concerns, are feeling overwhelmed, etc. please do not hesitate to contact your child’s teacher. We are here to support your family. Each morning the staff are meeting for a time of prayer to lift up our DCS families to our Heavenly Father. It would be an honour to pray for your specific requests, so please send them our way.
Our lives are in a state of constant change right now. We received new information from Alberta Education this morning, so we already had to modify the letter we created yesterday. We will continue to communicate with Alberta Education, Association of Independent Schools and Colleges of Alberta, and our colleagues in our field to continue to develop the best possible program for our students during this unprecedented time. Our programming is subject to change as we continue to receive new information from our government and feedback from our students and parents.
Grade one to nine report cards are scheduled to be emailed out to parents on Friday, March 27. We will do our very best to have them sent to you by then.
Thank you for your continued support as we continue to navigate through these uncertain times. Let’s work together to create an amazing community of citizens that value education, but, most importantly, value the role each of us have been given by our Lord. We may have not known this would happen, but our Father, who knows all things, was not surprised and will give us all we stand in need of to get through this. Keep your eyes and focus on Christ and the waves of turmoil and uncertainty surrounding us will be still and peace will fill our hearts and minds. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6